Esperance Tanker Jetty demolition begins

Demolition of the 84-year-old Esperance Tanker Jetty is underway.

A motion to halt demolition until after a probity review into past contracts and council decisions had been considered was voted down by five of the nine councillors on November 26.

Shire chief executive officer Matthew Scott said initial works had started such as removing handrails, light columns, the fish bench and toe rails.

The deck removal is expected to start in early 2020.

"Due to the fragile nature of the jetty, personnel will not be accessing the deck, all works will be carried out from a man-cage," Mr Scott said.

When the full scale deconstruction starts, sorting and grading of timbers will take place on the foreshore, opposite the Cannery.

H&H Architects, who created the concept design for the new jetty, have been at the site and have instructed demolition contractor, Crossview Enterprises, on visual grading of the removed materials.

Shire president Ian Mickel, who proved decisive in voting down a motion to investigate demolition, said he was keen to see the process move forward.

Cr Mickel said with the jetty issue "out of the way", council would be able to work together on other matters.

"They proved it on that night of the council meeting following the decision on the jetty. We certainly didn't have another 5-4 vote on that night," he said.

"Sometimes it was 8-1 or 7-2, but I think that shows it's democracy at work."

Now that the concrete lovers have got their way, I hope they will stand up and be counted when the town realises what it is actually getting.

Cr Piercey.

Cr Dale Piercey seconded the motion for a review, but said she now had to accept the decision as a councillor. However, Cr Piercey said she "felt sick" seeing demolition starting.

"Now that the concrete lovers have got their way, I hope they will stand up and be counted when the town realises what it is actually getting," she said.

Cr Piercey said a review was "absolutely vital" to ensure things were done correctly and that council had the authority to award the contract.

She said she had "dozens" approach her at the Seniors' Christmas Dinner to express how upset they were.

Cr Piercey said she didn't know what could be done to bring a review now and was not involved in efforts to seek one, but was aware there were "people looking at it".