Gibson Soak damage contained thanks to quick response by firefighters

UPDATE: The June 12 fire at the Gibson Soak Hotel was likely caused by a fault in the flue of the chimney at the pub.

Department of Fire and Emergency Services area officer Stephen Petersen said at about 5:30pm crews were called to the structure fire.

Mr Petersen said the Gibson Bushfire Brigade found a fire in the roof space on arrival.

"Because the Gibson Bushfire Brigade arrived quickly they were able to contain the fire to the roof space," he said.

Mr Petersen said there was "a lot of damage" to the roof space, but it was likely not structural damage.

About 20 firefighters across three brigades and the Shire of Esperance responded to the incident.

Mr Petersen said it was a reminder for homes and businesses to be fire-safe during winter.

He said it was important to get your flues clean before the winter season.


Emergency Services personnel have responded to a structural fire at the historic Gibson Soak Hotel this evening, June 12.

It is understood emergency services and Esperance Police were called to the pub on Gibson Road and Coolgardie-Esperance Highway about 5.30pm on Wednesday, June 12.

According to the Shire of Esperance, the fire has been contained to the roof of the building.

While the highway remains open at this stage, motorists and residents are being urged to avoid the area.

News of the fire spread quickly on social media and was met with shock from devastated local residents.

The Hotel is located 26 kilometres north of the Esperance townsite and opened back in December 1896.

The blaze comes less than one month after the Ora Banda Inn north of Kalgoorlie, built in 1911, was damaged by fire.