A brave response by two ice creamery employees averted a potentially dire situation for an elderly woman and two young children.
Aurelia's Ice Creamery and Cafe employees Luke O'Dea and Lacey Foster were packing up the store on Saturday, May 18 about 5:30pm when they smelt smoke.
At first they thought they had set the shop on fire, but they soon suspected the fire was coming from the home of an elderly woman who lives behind the store.
The two went into the house, which had filled with smoke.
"My eyes were watering pretty much as soon as we got in there," Luke said.
"We think someone had left a hand towel on the stove and it had caught fire. It was on the ground and had filled the house with smoke."
The elderly woman was sitting on her couch in a far corner of a room, while two frightened young children were in the kitchen.
Luke and Lacey tried to stop the smoke, opened the windows, put a fan on, got the children out of the house and called an ambulance.
The two employees tried to speak with the elderly woman, but she was only able to mumble responses.
The woman appeared to start choking and frothing at the mouth, so Luke and Lacey told the ambulance to hurry.
Lacey stayed with the woman until police arrived and made sure she kept her eyes open.
"She passed out for a little bit, woke up and then was okay. But she still didn't seem to know what was going on," Lacey said.
Police arrived before the fire brigade or ambulance and checked every room and tried to get more information from the elderly resident.
The woman was taken to hospital.
Luke checked on her and found she had been discharged from the hospital the morning after the incident.