Increase in funding for Esperance Schools

The 2017-2018 budget announcement spelled good news for schools, particularly for Esperance with all eight schools receiving a funding increase.

The five public schools all received a 7.7 per cent increase, with Esperance Senior High School getting the largest figure of $241,600 additional funding for 2018.

The independent schools Esperance Christian School, Esperance Anglican Community School and Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Primary School received increases of 6.3, 4.4 and 4.1 per cent respectively.

Federal member for O’Connor Rick Wilson said Australia wide schools received a 4.1 per cent increase in funding.

“WA did better than the national average with a 5.2 per cent increase,” he said.

“For O’Connor, there was a 6.1 per cent increase.

“Every single school in the electorate received a funding increase so I’m very pleased.

“It’s good news for Esperance.”

Mr Wilson said 80 per cent of funding for independent schools came from the Commonwealth and the remaining 20 per cent came from the state government.

He said this is why independent schools received more funding per student from the federal budget, but it was proportionate with state schools.

Public schools received 20 per cent of their funding from the Commonwealth and the other 80 per cent from the state government.

“If you times Esperance Senior High Schools increase by four, then the funding per student would look similar to the independent schools,” he said.