Esperance shark attack victim identified as Laeticia Brouwer

The 17-year-old surfer who died near Esperance on Monday after being mauled by a shark has been identified as Laeticia Brouwer. 

The teenager, along with her sister and father, were keen surfers from Singleton, near Mandurah. 

Fairfax Media understands the family was in Esperance for the Easter long weekend when the attack occurred. 

Laeticia was believed to have been unconscious when she was pulled from the water around 4pm at Kelp Beds – approximately 3km east of Wylie Bay.

She was seriously mauled on one of her legs, leading to massive blood loss, while surfing with her father. 

Her mother and two sisters were reportedly watching on from the beach as she was attacked by the shark.

Her parents' Facebook page showed photos of 'Teesh' – as she was affectionately known – and her sister surfing at a number of beaches with their father. 

She also played netball at a local Mandurah club.

Esperance Express reporter Caitlyn Rintoul, who was one of the first on the scene, said a woman was being hugged by a paramedic as the girl was given CPR.

“Our local paramedic was giving her CPR and calling on bystanders to come over and lift her onto the next stretcher,” she said. 

Laeticia was then taken to Esperance Hospital in a critical condition, where she died shortly after.

Wylie Bay Beach has been closed by local authorities until further notice.

Water Police have urged people to avoid the water in the Wylie Bay area for at least the next 48 hours.

The Department of Fisheries said it would monitor the beach on Tuesday but has not issued an order to deploy drum lines. 

Kelp Beds, also known as "Kelpies", is a popular surf break in a remote area also used for camping and four-wheel driving.

It is just east of Wylie Bay, where Sean Pollard was attacked by two great white sharks in October 2014. The Bunbury man lost his left arm and right hand in the attack.

Last year there were two fatal shark attacks in WA.

In May Ben Gerring, 29, died following an attack at Falcon Beach, near Mandurah, while a month later 60-year-old Doreen Collyer died after a great white attack in Mindarie, just north of Perth.

- From WAtoday, Esperance Express