BE transported into the past through a collection of photographs capturing Esperance's history.
Photos courtesy of the Esperance Bay Historical Society and the Esperance Municipal Museum.
A pristine Picnic Cove Esperance c.1960 prior to wharf construction
Aerial view of Esperance Harbour in 1966
Breakwater taking shape in January 1963
Cape Wrath - first ship to berth at the new Esperance Wharf November 1965
Cuba Maru loading wheat May 1967
Dempster Head being quarried for the Esperance Port's breakwater construction, which commenced on 1 Oct 1962
Esperance Breakwater construction in early 1960's
Esperance breakwater construction in the early 1960's
Esperance Harbour dredging works August 1969 provided valuable foreshore beach renourishment
Esperance Port continues its development c1970
Esperance Port grain silos under construction in 1967
Laying of railway line - Esperance Port construction
Picnic Cove, with the breakwater taking shape - Jan 1963
Town Beach & Dempster Head in 1960 - note the occasional heavy seaweed.
Wharf construction Esperance around the end of 1964
Esperance Drive-In Kiosk & Projection Booth - off Norseman Road
Esperance Drive-In screen
Pink Lake Drive-In in an almost rural setting
Pink Lake Drive-In screen was 27m wide x 13m high & used 8 tonnes of steel
Pink Lake Drive-In with its Projection Booth in foreground
RAOB (Bijou) Hall Esperance at the time it ceased showing movies in 1966. Note the tiny ticket window on the extreme left
A bad winter storm damaged The Esplanade in July 1968 - Photo David Ware
Andrew Street corner looked fairly bare in early 1958, without a Bank on the near corner - Photo Rod Swann
Andrew Street looked much different in 1956 - Photo Rod Swann
Both the old & New Esperance Post Offices momentarily occupied the same corner around 1972 - Photo Len Stewart
Bows legendary butcher shop flourished for decades in Andrew Street Photo Ted Green 1960s
Chesters Tavern occupied the MacDonalds site in August 2009 Photo Rodney Western
Dempster Brothers former woolshed on The Esplanade in 1967 now Esp Bay Caravan Park.j
Esperance Hotel in Jan 1956 before replaced the following year by the current building - Photo Esperance Bay Historical Society
Esperance school buses around 1960 were a far cry from the modern ones of today - Photo Mollie Anderson
Fishing off the magnificent Tanker Jetty was a favourite family pastime in 1957 - Photo Rodney Swann.
Georges Oceanarium was a popular tourist attraction opposite the Pier Hotel before demolished in - Photo from a postcard.
Haycutting at the State Farm Salmon Gums in 1949 was a three horsepower affair - Photo Bernie Norris
How Andrew Street looked like from the Westpac Bank corner in 1958 - Photo Rodney Swann
How both the south side of Andrew Street and the average motor cars looked in 1958 - Photo Rodney Swann
How grand the old Esperance Post Office still looked right up until its sad demolition around 1972 - Photo Len Stewart
How the Superphosphate Works was wide open to public view in 1965 . Photo Vern Smythe
Hunts Fish Cannery Esperance looked in 1955 long before it became an Arts Centre - Photo Grigg Family
It took six horsepower to move the grain at the Salmon Gums Research Station in the early 1930s - Photo Win Evans
Loading sheep at the Esperance Port was a big business in the early 1980s - Photo Vern Smythe.
Many different buildings occupied Andrew Street in the early 1960s - Photo Geoff Spencer.j
Old Esperance School was being replaced in the 1960s for a new school only this year itself demolished - Photo May Drew
Orleans Farm cattle sales were a huge drawcard in the 1970's - Photo Les Worth
Our Esperance Shire Council Office & Chambers stood proudly on the hill in Windich Street from 1965 to 1990 Windich Street - Photo Duncan Stewart
Our wonderful old Esperance Post Office was a true local icon - Photo Ray Worthington
Pioneering Dempster Brothers Woolshed once stood on The Esplanade opposite Port Authority Park - Photo Bob Russell.
Popular Dutton's Cafe and store in the beginning before later great expansion - Photo Dutton Family
Street Parades and Marching Girls were very popular in 1964 - Photo May Drew
Synnot Motors stood on the corner of Andrew & Dempster Streets around 1960 - Photo Geoff Synnot
The Commonwealth Bank occupied its modern new premises next to the Post Office in the 1960's - Photo Ted Green.
The Esperance Airport Terminal was a more modest building around the 1960's - Photo Elizabeth Kitchen
The First bulk wheat ship berthed at the Tanker Jetty in 1962 - Photo Les Worth
The north side of Andrew Esperance looked like this in 1966 - Photo Barbara Terrell
The old Pier Hotel looked in 1954 - Photo Glenys Gilpin
The Pier Hotel and the former Grace Darling stood side by side in the early 1960's - Photo Elizabeth Kitchen
The Queen Mother paid us a visit in March 1966 on a sweltering 39 degree day - Photo Rodney Swann
The RAOB (Bijou) Hall looked slightly forlorn 1967
Tom the Cheap Grocer opened at West End Shopping Centre in April 1971 - Photo David Ware
WA Salt Supply havested salt at Pink Lake in February 1996 - Photo Tony Lister
Old photos are always welcomed by the Esperance Bay Historical Society.
Contact Neville Mulgat on 9071 1493.